Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Ode to Mangoes: The King of Fruits

Summer is great for a variety of reasons: Flowers bloom better, Plants grow better, Summer Vacations leads to less traffic and crowds and for being the season for Mangoes. If you are like me, you will be relishing mangoes all through the season right upto the rains.

Mangoes are truly the King of Fruits & the Alpha Mango would be the Alfonso. Delicious to eat plain as scoops, the succulent mangoes have a deep orange colour and a distinctive taste and smell. It has been on my shopping basket every week. Besides the fresh mango plain, I had it as an ice cream at Baskins once and then at Bachelor's at Chowpatty with fresh whipped cream and fresh fruits.

My folks like Bangarapalli mangoes and bought me a lot and they are delicious too. They are huge though and fill you up so I can only eat it at breakfast.

My absolute favourite mango dish that I wait for all year is made from Green Mangoes. Called Kadumanga in Malayalam, this is a pickle with no preservatives. It takes green mango soaked in  salt water, oil and tadka to make and is a quick preparation which is super delicious. A friend of my grandmom's sent me a giant bottle which I have been relishing and it just got over....

What's your favourite mango variety and dish? Share it here.... & until next Mango season, we can relish what's left....

No comments:

Post a Comment